Traffic Updates Related to the Zoo Interchange and the Pettit Ice Center
Please note that there will be new routes to be used to get to/from the Pettit Center as the Zoo Interchange project continues this winter. We appreciate your patience and consideration.
84th Street entrance to I94 East: On Thursday night, December 10, I-94 East traffic will be shifted north, onto the newly paved I-94 West roadway, between 92nd Street and 70th Street to allow for crews to reconstruct the existing lanes. Upon shifting I-94 East traffic to the north, the 84th Street entrance ramp to I-94 East and the I-94 East exit ramp to 70th Street will close. These ramps are expected to remain closed through Spring 2016.
For vehicles leaving the Pettit Center and wishing to go East on I-94, please proceed East on Kearney, the frontage road along I94, to the 68th Street entrance to I-94 East. Kearney is to be closed from 84th east to 68th from March to June. The alternate is to take the road in front of the Pettit Center east to 76th and continue east on Main Street to 68th Street, then left to the traffic light and right to enter I94 East.
Lane restrictions on 84th Street: In January, demolition of the old, existing Eastbound bridge over 84th Street will begin. Traffic on 84th Street will be limited to one lane each in North and South directions possibly beginning a little earlier than January. We will have to confirm the length of time for this reduction of lanes. Coming to the Pettit Center from the East, it is suggested to use 68th/70th Street exit and continue on O’Connor to 76th Street, then south to Main Street and turn right.
84th Street Exit from I94 East: In March, the exit at 84th Street from I-94 East will closed until June. So, in the March to June time frame, the best option from I94 East may be to exit at Hawley Road and get back on I94 West to exit at 68th/70th Street.
41 South Ramp to I94 East: For those coming from the Northwest on 41/45, the ramp from 41/45 South to I94 East is going to close during the Winter for 8 months. Your best option is to exit at Blue Mound and take that east to 84th Street (Glenview) and go south.
Greenfield Avenue Entrance to 41 South: This entrance is available for two weeks later in December.
Zoo Interchange Project
– a lane will be closed HWY 100 entrance ramp to I-94 WB through TBD for metering issues.
– there will be a full closure 84th St entrance ramp to I-94 EB from through mid-June 2016 for roadway construction.
– there will be a full closure I-94 EB exit ramp to 70th St from through mid-June 2016 for roadway construction.
– there will be a full closure Bluemound Rd entrance ramp to I-41 NB through late November 2016 for ramp reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure Wisconsin Ave EB/WB from 95th St to 97th St through late May 2017 for reconstruction.
– there will be no access from the Watertown Plank Rd EB entrance ramp to I-41 SB to the Zoo Int N-E system ramp through Summer 2017 for roadway reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure I-94 WB exit ramp to HWY 100 NB through late October 2017 for roadway reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure I-94 WB exit ramp to HWY 100 SB (from I-94 WB and I-41/894 NB) through late October 2017 for roadway reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure of the Zoo Int E-S system ramp through late November 2017 for ramp reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure I-41 NB exit ramp to Bluemound Rd through late November 2017 for ramp reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure Bluemound Rd entrance ramp to I-41 SB through late November 2017 for ramp reconstruction.
– there will be a full closure Schlinger Ave EB/WB under I-41/894 through early Summer 2018 for project construction.